The Card Players
Inspired by Paul Cézanne’s group of paintings titled The Card Players (1890–95), Hockney paints several multi-viewpoint images of that scenario; however, his models are seated at a table rendered in reverse perspective. Next, using digital software, he creates a photographic drawing of the same models seated in the studio with his painting of them, Card Players #3 (2014), alongside his iconic photographic collage, Pearblossom Highway (1986), on the wall behind them. The different elements of the photographic drawing are individually photographed and then collaged using Photoshop to create a picture with many perspective points. In the Financial Times, Francis Hodgson writes: “Hockney isn’t trying to kid us: he leaves the traces of his multiple-angled gaze fully visible. A face is perfectly sharp, seen from close. But so is the carpet four or five feet lower. The lines on a floor move in several different directions, as they really do as you move over them. In life, we move our eyes to acquire the information that the brain processes into a ‘view.’ That’s what Hockney has done.”
By year’s end, Hockney completes 27 more portraits of individual sitters for his series begun in 2013, which now includes more than 60 paintings. He also returns to painting his Los Angeles home and garden.
- The Arrival of Spring, 1853 Gallery, Saltaire, UK (opens Feb 18, 2015).
- Louisiana on Paper: David Hockney, Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Humlebæk, Denmark (Mar 19–Jun 21).
- The Arrival of Spring, Pace Beijing, Beijing, China (Apr 18–Jun 6).
- A Rake's Progress, Portland Art Museum, Portland, OR, USA (Apr 18–Aug 2); catalogue.
- Painting and Photography, Annely Juda Fine Art, London, UK (May 15–Jun 27); catalogue.
- The Arrival of Spring, Galerie Lelong, Paris, France (May 21–Jun 24); catalogue.
- The Arrival of Spring, Annely Juda Fine Art, London, UK (Jul 9–Aug 29).
- Painting and Photography, L.A. Louver, Venice, CA, USA (Jul 15–Sep 19); catalogue.
- David Hockney, Early Drawings, Offer Waterman & Co, London, UK (Sep 25–Oct 23); catalogue.
- L’Arrivée du printemps, Fondation Vincent van Gogh, Arles, France (Oct 11, 2015–Jan 17, 2016); catalogue.
- Early Drawings, Paul Kasmin Gallery, New York, NY, USA (Nov 3–Dec 1); catalogue.
- 50 for 50: Gifts on the Occasion of LACMA’s Anniversary, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, CA, USA (Apr 26–Sep 13); catalogue.
- The Serial Impulse at Gemini G.E.L., National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., USA (Oct 4, 2015–Feb 7, 2016), travels to Los Angeles County Museum of Art (Sep 11, 2016–Jan 2, 2017).
- Picasso.Mania, Grand Palais, Paris, France (Oct 7, 2015–Feb 29, 2016); catalogue.
- David Hockney: Early Drawings, Offer Waterman & Co., Paul Kasmin Gallery, London and New York.
- David Hockney: Painting and Photography, by David Hockney, London.
- State of California Hall of Fame inductee, awarded by Governor Jerry Brown.