Hockney’s Eye: The Art and Technology of Depiction at Cambridge University
Hockney’s Eye: The Art and Depiction of Technology opened in March. Hockney’s drawings, paintings and digital works are shown in a series of provocative encounters with works by artists including Claude Monet, John Constable, and Andy Warhol alongside optical instruments. In an accompanying installation at the Heong Gallery, Downing College, the iconic Grand Canyon I (2017) is on show. March to August 29, Cambridge University, U.K.
Santa Monica Boulevard sees the light once more
I Am Here: Home Movies and Everyday Masterpieces opened in April at the Art Gallery of Ontario. Hockney is represented by Santa Monica Boulevard, a monumental, unfinished work from 1978 - 1980 loaned by The David Hockney Foundation. Rarely exhibited, Its impact is summed up in the article headline "Giant David Hockney painting, unseen in nearly 30 years, steals the show at Toronto’s Art Gallery of Ontario".
David Hockney, A Year in Normandie is on show at Salts Mill from May to September 18, 2022. It is the first time that the ninety meter long work has been shown in the U.K.
Hockney – Matisse. Un Paradis retrouvé is on show at the Musée Matisse in Nice, from 9 June to 18 September as part of the 2022 Nice Art Biennale. A rapport between Matisse and Hockney is set up in order to show the convergences and divergences of their work. One section, called "Fresh Flowers", is devoted to Hockney's iPad "bouquets". The museum is housed in the Villa des Arènes, a seventeenth-century villa sited amid ancient Roman ruins.
- David Hockney: INSIGHTS (Reflecting the Tate Collection), Kunstforum Vienna, Austria (Feb 10–Jun 19).
- Hockney's Eye: The Art and Technology of Depiction, The Fitzwilliam Museum and Heong Gallery, Cambridge, UK (Mar 15–Aug 29); catalogue.
- A Year in Normandie, Salts Mill, Shipley, UK (Apr 30–Sep 21).
- David Hockney: The Arrival of Spring, Normandy, 2020, Sabanci University, Sakup Sabanci Museum, Istanbul (May 11–Jul 29).
- Love Life: David Hockney Drawings 1963–1977, The Holburne Museum, Bath, UK (May 27–Sep 18).
- Hockney–Matisse -- un paradis retrouvé, Musée Matisse, Nice, France (Jun 9–Sep 18); catalogue.
- David Hockney. Focus Moving, In the Context of Tate's Collection, Kunstmuseum Luzern, Switzerland (Jul 8–Oct 30).
- The Arrival of Spring, Normandy, 2020, Art Institute of Chicago (Aug 20, 2022–Jan 9, 2023).
- A Year in Normandie, Bayeux Museum, Bayeux, France (Sep 22, 2022–Apr 23, 2023).
- Hockney's Eye: The Art and Technology of Depiction, Teylers Museum, Haarlem, The Netherlands (Sep 24, 2022–Jan 29, 2023).
- David Hockney - Landscapes in Dialogue, Bode-Museum, Staatliche Museen, Berlin (Apr 9–Jul 10).
- I am Here: Home Movies and Everyday Masterpieces, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto (Apr 11–Aug 14).